The Lewis Rice Harris-Stowe State University Internship
Harris-Stowe State University undergraduate students interested in pursuing a legal career are encouraged to apply to the Lewis Rice Harris-Stowe State University Internship. This 6-week paid summer internship affords aspiring lawyers an opportunity to connect with and support the Firm’s attorneys and staff and gain valuable insights into legal practice and operations in a dynamic full-service law firm.
About Lewis Rice
With more than 150 lawyers practicing in all of the major legal specialty areas, Lewis Rice is one of the leading regional law firms in the Midwest. Founded in 1909, we are proud to have served our communities for more than a century. The Firm enjoys a strong historical foundation and reputation, as well as the size and resources to provide sophisticated legal counsel and custom-tailored solutions for the challenges facing local, regional, and national businesses.
We strive to reflect the multidimensional diversity of our communities and clients. The diverse backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives of our people drive the excellence for which Lewis Rice is known. We recognize and value our differences, and believe collaborating across them underpins our ability to connect with and advocate for our clients. However, diversity is not just a business mandate at Lewis Rice—it is a moral imperative core to our shared vision for a truly inclusive workplace in which every attorney and staff member is valued for their unique contributions.
As a Harris-Stowe State University Summer Intern, your day-to-day projects will vary as client, attorney and departmental needs arise. In addition to tackling a variety of assignments from legal staff and attorneys, you can expect to receive guidance and support from Lewis Rice’s administration team in making sure you get projects focused on your interests.
Providing aspiring lawyers a window into legal practice and an opportunity to get to know Lewis Rice attorneys is the primary goal of this internship. Accordingly, summer interns will meet with attorneys from the Firm’s various practice groups throughout the summer.
Harris-Stowe State University students who meet the following eligibility requirements are encouraged to apply:
- Is currently enrolled as an undergraduate student in good standing
- Self-identifies as a member of a group underrepresented in law, including but not limited to Black, Indigenous, and People of Color (BIPOC), LGBTQ+ people, people with disabilities, people from economically disadvantaged backgrounds and/or first-generation college students
- Is interested in a career in law
Harris-Stowe State University Summer Interns work the same hours as our staff (9AM-5PM Monday through Thursday; 9AM-3PM Friday) and are compensated $15/hour. Our St. Louis office is located at 600 Washington Avenue in downtown St. Louis.
How to Apply
Student applications will be accepted between Wednesday, February 15 and Friday, March 24. Applications to the Lewis Rice Harris-Stowe State University Internship must include the following materials and should be submitted through our online portal.
- Essay: ~500 words describing your background, how your experiences or identity have informed your desire to become an attorney, and the contributions you aspire to make to society as an attorney.
- Transcript: Copy of applicant's undergraduate transcript (This can be supplemented to the extent the applicant's transcripts are unavailable at the time of submission.)
- Resume: Please limit to one page.