Sarah E. Mullen has a dynamic and diverse litigation practice. She represents clients in both the public and private sectors and counsels on a host of issues, including labor and employment, municipal and school governance and compliance, and immigration issues.
Sarah is an employment litigator. She vigorously defends clients against discrimination and other employment-related claims brought under state and federal law. Sarah is also a labor and employment counselor. She works with her clients to take steps to avoid litigation by drafting and modifying employee policies, implementing effective hiring and employee evaluation practices, and evaluating workforce reduction programs for compliance with Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) requirements and other statutory obligations. She also encourages her clients to take a proactive approach to addressing potential workplace liability. She keeps her clients informed of changes in employment law, and she designs and presents seminars and training sessions to educate her client employers and their employees on best practices.
Sarah also represents several municipalities and educational institutions as both litigation counsel and day-to-day advocate. She serves as Assistant City Attorney for the City of Kirkwood, and she has represented the City of St. Charles, among others, in civil rights, taxpayer and employment litigation. Sarah also represents a number of educational institutions. She has worked on employment and personal injury litigation for one of the largest public school districts in the state. She also acts as outside general counsel for Mary Institute and St. Louis Country Day School (MICDS), handling a vast array of issues from third-party service contracts to student conduct issues.
Sarah also has a thriving immigration practice. She is part of a successful team of lawyers at Lewis Rice who together bring a depth of knowledge to the complex and ever-changing practice of immigration law. Sarah assists businesses in securing H-1B temporary work visas and green cards for intending immigrant employees. She also works with individual clients in obtaining permanent residence based on marriage or family relationships, and in securing United States citizenship. Underscoring her commitment to her immigration practice, and those in need of community support, Sarah is a Board Member of the Migrant and Immigrant Community Action Project, and she is a member of the Advisory Board of the Chiapas Photography Project. Sarah is also fluent in Spanish.
Sarah is Co-chair of the Firm's Recruiting Committee and Vice Chair of the Diversity & Inclusion Committee. She was selected for inclusion in Missouri & Kansas Rising Stars® 2011-2012 and was included in Missouri & Kansas Super Lawyers® 2013-2020, placing her among the youngest attorneys to earn this honor.
Outside of work, Sarah is an avid sports fan and loves the outdoors. She especially enjoys hiking and hunting with her husband and five kids.
- Coronavirus (COVID-19)
- Labor & Employment
- Education Law
- Municipal Law, Zoning & Finance
- Saint Louis University School of Law (J.D., magna cum laude, 2008)
- Academic Excellence Award for highest grade in Torts, Criminal Law, Constitutional Law I, Contracts II, Legal Professions, Conflict of Laws, Labor Law, International Human Rights and Immigration Law; Dean’s Honor Scholarship
- David Grant Award for Clinic Student of the Year
- Saint Louis University Law Journal, Childress Lecture Managing Editor
- Moot Court, SLU Law National Team
- Washington University in St. Louis (B.A., summa cum laude, 2004)
- American Culture Studies and Spanish
- Prosecuting attorney for the City of Kirkwood, MO (2010-2013)
- Research assistant to Prof. David Sloss, Saint Louis University School of Law (2008)
- Summer associate, Lewis Rice LLC (2006, 2007)
- American Bar Association
- American Immigration Lawyers Association
- Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eighth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Missouri
- Missouri Bar
- Illinois Bar
Charitable & Civic Activities
- Board member, Migrant and Immigrant Community Action Project
Honors & Awards
- Rising Star Award, Women's Justice Awards, Missouri Lawyer's Weekly (2017)
- St. Louis Business Journal's 30 Under 30 Class of 2009
- St. Louis Daily Record Women's Justice Award Nominee (2008)
- Co-chair, Recruiting Committee
- Vice Chair, Diversity & Inclusion Committee