As the former chief legal counsel for the St. Louis Board of Aldermen, David W. Sweeney has extensive experience handling government-related legal matters. While at the Board of Aldermen, David provided a broad range of legal services, including drafting ordinances, counseling government employees on budgetary issues, and advising employees on legal issues, among other responsibilities.
In his private practice, David focuses on lobbying, governmental and finance matters; municipal and public law; government affairs; zoning, land use, tax increment financing, community improvement districts, and other development incentives. His experience ranges from drafting and overseeing implementation of legislation regarding tax increment financing, community improvement districts, special business districts, transportation development districts, property tax abatements, street and alley vacations, zoning and land use matters.
Additionally, David has helped clients in a variety of sectors—including professional sports teams, real estate development, manufacturing, public safety, cannabis, higher education institutions, startups, transportation, telecommunications, technology, energy, non-profits, commissions, and associations—develop and implement winning lobbying strategies using innovative, pragmatic approaches to affect the formation of public policy in the St. Louis region.
David has extensive experience in advising clients regarding issues surrounding government procurement law and regulation at the municipal and local level. He has experience leveraging relationships within municipal government to help clients successfully respond to government bid requests. David helps clients navigate local government and various agencies in regards to permitting and business licenses. He also assists clients with acquiring disadvantaged business certification (MBE/WBE) from certifying government entities.
- Coronavirus (COVID-19)
- Government Solutions & Administrative Law
- Municipal Law, Zoning & Finance
- Public Finance
- Real Estate
- Opportunity Zones
- Veteran, Women, and Minority-Owned Business Enterprises
- Saint Louis University School of Law (J.D., 2004)
- Notes and Comments Editor, Saint Louis University Public Law Review
- Legal Research & Writing Assistant
- Truman State University (Master of Arts in Education, 1996)
- Special Education
- Truman State University (B.S., 1996)
- Of Counsel, Lathrop & Gage (2015-2017)
- Legal Counsel, St. Louis Board of Aldermen (2008-2015)
- General Counsel to President, St. Louis Board of Aldermen (2007-2008)
- Associate, McGlynn & Luther (2005-2007)
- Law Clerk, Simon & Passanante, PC (2003-2004)
- Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis
- Mound City Bar Association
- Missouri Municipal Attorneys Association
- Missouri Municipal League
- Registered Missouri Lobbyist
- Missouri Bar
- Illinois Bar
Charitable & Civic Activities
- Board of Directors, St. Louis Public Library
- Member, St. Louis Sports Commission
- Missouri Advisory Committee, U.S.Global Leadership Coalition
- Member, Missouri Athletic Club
- Former Council Member, Jewish Community Relations Council of St. Louis (JCRC)
- Former Board Member, St. Louis Police Athletic League (PAL)
- Former Chairman, Downtown St. Louis, Inc.
- Former Board Member, Central Reform Congregation
- Member, Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Committee