Our tax attorneys provide advice on a wide variety of federal, international, state, and local tax matters. Our clients include large, publicly traded multinational and domestic corporations, domestic and international pass‑through entities, nonprofit entities, cooperatives, and individuals. Our clients span diverse industries such as manufacturing, distribution, extraction, medical services, architectural services, and financial services. We work with attorneys in other Firm practice groups to seamlessly serve our clients, and we utilize our diverse business backgrounds and experiences to provide practical solutions for our clients.
We assist our clients in all aspects of tax planning, including the following:
- New-business formation and operation, including choice of entity determination and preparation of related documentation for limited liability companies, limited liability partnerships, general and limited partnerships, joint venture arrangements, and Subchapter S Corporations;
- Taxable and tax-free stock and asset acquisitions, reorganizations, liquidations, spinoffs, split-ups, divisions, leveraged buyouts, and other corporate and pass‑through entity transactions;
- Tax controversy representation of clients before the U.S. Tax Court, state courts, and administrative agencies and at all levels within the Internal Revenue Service (including voluntary disclosure programs);
- State tax planning, which includes income tax, sales and use tax, multistate apportionment, property tax, franchise tax, state tax credits, and economic development incentives;
- Federal tax planning, including evaluating and structuring tax efficient financing, advising with regard to various aspects of debt and insolvency, intercompany and related-party transactions, and advising with regard to judgments and settlements;
- Real estate transaction planning including like-kind exchanges, deferred like-kind exchanges, and installment sales;
- Executive compensation planning including "reasonable compensation" review, stock options, restricted stock arrangements, stock appreciation rights, and other matters;
- International tax planning including evaluating tax-efficient repatriations, distributions, and remittances, as well as overall tax structure considerations;
- Drafting transfer-pricing documentation for both domestic and international transactions; and,
- General income tax planning for individuals.
Many of our attorneys have advanced degrees in tax law and business, as well as practical business experience, enabling them to provide advice that extends beyond application of the technical tax rules. In addition to assisting our corporate clients, our tax attorneys serve as resources for many accounting firms and other professional financial services firms.