Michael J. Hartley represents innovators and industry leaders in complex challenges to intellectual property. He successfully litigates complex patent disputes to achieve results that make business sense for his clients.
A savvy litigator and registered patent attorney with an extensive understanding of life science and finance, Michael blends these attributes to defend a wide range of IP issues in a broad spectrum of technologies. He handles patent infringement, post-grant proceedings before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board, such as Inter Partes Review and covered business method proceedings, trademark and trade dress infringement, misappropriation of trade secrets, and other complex commercial matters. Arguing patent issues in district courts throughout the U.S., Michael also has experience defending commercial disputes and appeals in federal court, including antitrust cases.
Michael was selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2017-2022.
- Ohio State University, Michael E. Moritz College of Law (J.D., with honors, 2003)
- Muskingum College (B.S., magna cum laude, 2000)
- Senniger Powers
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Past Chair, Patent, Trademark and Copyright Section, Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis
- Missouri Bar
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- U.S. District Court
- Eastern District of Missouri
- Central District of Illinois
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
Charitable & Civic Activities
- Board of Directors, Lift for Life Gym