Matthew J. Haas is an experienced litigator primarily representing clients in complex commercial disputes, employment matters, insurance coverage disputes, and FINRA securities litigation. With the client’s interest always top of mind, Matt provides strategic and practical counsel to his clients to ensure the most beneficial outcome possible.
Matt is also an experienced litigator in the courtroom, regularly appearing before judges in both Missouri and Illinois to argue substantive legal motions and try cases to verdict. As a trial lawyer, Matt has successfully prosecuted and defended companies in multimillion-dollar disputes at trial, mediation, and arbitration.
As a leader in the firm’s insurance practice group, Matt also regularly counsels clients on complex insurance coverage issues and routinely works with insurance adjusters and claims counsel to resolve coverage issues.
Matt was selected for inclusion in Missouri & Kansas Rising Stars® in 2018-2022 as well as in Best Lawyers® Ones to Watch for 2021-2023.
Prior to joining Lewis Rice, Matt was a senior associate at Brown & James, P.C., where he focused on defending insurance companies in contractual coverage disputes.
On a personal level, Matt is originally from Omaha, Nebraska and proudly comes from a big family of eight. He and his wife, Alicia, have three boys: Frank, Danny, and Bo. When he is away from the office, Matt enjoys spending time with his friends and family, and constantly running after his three boys. Matt and his family are parishioners at Mary Queen of Peace.
- Saint Louis University School of Law (J.D., 2013)
- Alpha Sigma Nu Jesuit Honors Society
- Saint Louis University (B.S.B.A., 2009)
- Finance, minor in Accounting
- Brown & James, P.C. (2013-2016)
- Law Clerk, Pleban & Petruska, LLC (2012-2013)
- Summer Law Clerk, Betterman Law Offices (2011, 2012)
- International Tax Transfer Pricing Staff Consultant, BKD, LLP (2010)
- Product Finance Intern, First Data Corporation (2008)
- Missouri Organization of Defense Lawyers (2015-present)
- Missouri Bar
- Illinois Bar
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Missouri
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Missouri
Charitable & Civic Activities
- Member, Young Friends of St. Anthony's Charitable Foundation Committee (2014-2016)