In a time where it seems new ransomware and malware attacks are reported daily, it’s critical for companies to have the right coverage in place to ensure they are protected against losses, liabilities, and the high cost of responding to data and security breaches. Lewis Rice’s Cyber Liability Insurance Practice Group consists of a diverse and experienced group of lawyers who assist policyholders in evaluating, negotiating, and enforcing their cyber liability insurance policies.
Our cyber liability insurance attorneys take a proactive approach with clients to assess coverage before a claim arises, and are especially skilled at sorting out the complex puzzle of a policyholder’s plan to break it down into plain and practical terms. When a claim arises, our team works with clients to best position their claim for maximum insurance recovery.
Attorneys in this practice group also work with clients to identify and review their different policies that may include cyber-related coverage and provide guidance to help clients coordinate coverage under different types of policies. This process often helps to identify potential coverage gaps or duplicative coverage, which our attorneys can advise on how to manage. Elimination of duplicate coverage may also result in a reduction of insurance costs.
Lewis Rice routinely advises clients regarding exposures associated with the following:
- First-party coverage under cyber policies and other lines of coverage for costs associated with privacy counsel, forensic investigations, notification costs, credit monitoring, etc.
- Data security-related claims associated with investigations by federal and state regulatory authorities.
- Claims involving sensitive personal information, as well as large-scale data security breaches involving sensitive health or financial information.
- Ransomware and extortion claims.
- Claims involving network outages made by third parties against insureds.
- Business interruption claims under cyber policies.
- Claims involving data security and other coverage lines, including general liability, E&O, and D&O policies, as well as business email compromise or email schemes and wire fraud under commercial crime insurance policies.
Lewis Rice also conducts employee training programs for clients offering best practice advice to prevent an exposure or data breach related to email phishing.
Our cyber liability insurance attorneys are part of the broader Cybersecurity & Data Privacy Practice Group, which works with clients to mitigate risk by advising on compliance and best practices for data management and incident preparedness, and by providing critical legal counsel in the immediate aftermath of cyber incident.