Our attorneys with depth and breadth of experience and expert knowledge in the relevant tax, corporate, trusts/estates, and healthcare practice areas work closely together as members of our Tax-Exempt Organizations Practice Group.
The Practice Group advises tax-exempt, nonprofit, charitable, cultural, and eleemosynary entities of virtually all types. We also advise individuals who are creating, managing, employed by, or donating to such entities.
We have experience in all aspects of the life cycle of exempt and nonprofit organizations (both in corporate and trust form), including formation, initial application for federal tax-exempt status, sales tax exemption, property tax exemption, governance, compliance with state and federal laws and regulations, unrelated business taxable income, compensation/incentive/employment issues, comprehensive development and planned giving programs, restrictions on political lobbying, mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, reformation, litigation, and dissolution.
Our clients include:
- Hospitals and other nonprofit exempt healthcare entities
- Educational institutions and affiliated agencies and groups
- Religious institutions and affiliated agencies and groups
- Research agencies and groups
- Public charities, community foundations, private foundations, endowments, and supporting organizations
- Charitable remainder trusts and charitable lead trusts
- Scholarship-granting entities
- Retirement, assisted living, and skilled nursing facilities
- Joint venture and umbrella/coordinating agencies and groups
- Social welfare organizations and fraternal organizations
- Business associations, leagues, and chambers of commerce
- Governmental and quasi-governmental commissions and agencies
- Political organizations