Marian V. "Bo" Mehan is Co-Chair of the Firm's Estate Planning Department and a longtime member of the Firm's Management Committee. With more than 20 years' experience, she advises clients on their estate planning, wealth transfer planning, estate and trust administration, and post-mortem planning.
Bo has strong ties to the community, and she has built her practice on an impressive network of personal and professional relationships. The nature of Bo's practice can be deeply personal, and she takes great care to guide her clients and their families through the estate planning process with compassion, confidentiality, and competence. Bo's years of experience and deep understanding of the tax code make her a reliable source of advice and legal representation for high-net-worth persons and families, including those owning private companies.
In addition to advising families, Bo represents banks and other institutions with their estate and trust law questions and in their roles as trustees and personal representatives, with particular emphasis on modifying otherwise irrevocable trusts.
Bo's reputation as a leader in her field is reinforced by her commitment to continuing education. She is a frequent panelist and speaker on the topic of sophisticated estate planning. In 2016, Bo was inducted into the SLU LAW Order of the Fleur de Lis Hall of Fame, the highest honor from Saint Louis University School of Law given to alumni who are leaders in their communities and in their practice.
Bo is committed to serving her community, and she plays many civic and charitable roles, holding various leadership positions with several St. Louis nonprofit organizations over the years, including Pershing Foundation, Lesley A. Waldheim Foundation, and Saint Louis University. Furthermore, Bo is Chair of ACCESS Academies, a nonprofit organization established to ensure that socially-and/or economically-disadvantaged students in the St. Louis area have access to top-quality, values-based education, regardless of race, ethnicity or religious affiliation.
- Estate Planning & Probate
- Tax-Exempt Organizations
- Closely Held Businesses, Partnerships & Joint Ventures
- Charitable & Cultural Taxation
- Saint Louis University School of Law (J.D., magna cum laude, 1982)
- Order of the Woolsack
- Alpha Sigma Nu
- Phi Delta Phi
- academic scholarship
- Saint Louis University (B.S., magna cum laude, 1974)
- St. Mary's College of Notre Dame (1971)
- Rome, Italy (1971-1972)
- American Bar Association, Real Property, Probate and Trust Section
- Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis
- Estate Planning Council of St. Louis
- Missouri Bar
- Illinois Bar
Charitable & Civic Activities
- Board Member, Pershing Foundation
- Board Member, Saint Louis University
- Board Member, Edward Mallinckrodt Foundation
- Board Member, Lesley Waldheim Foundation
- Chair, ACCESS Academies
- Member, Board of Governors, Cardinal Glennon Children's Hospital Foundation
- Past member, Board of Trustees, Chaminade College Preparatory, St. Louis, MO
- Past Chairman, Board of Directors, Academy of the Visitation
- Past Chair, St. Louis Archdiocesan Parish Teacher's Compensation Committee
- Past member, Saint Louis University Alumni Council
- Past member, Development Committee, Girl Scout Council of Greater St. Louis
- Past member, Board of Catholic Services for Children
- Past member, Endowment Council, St. Louis Art Museum Foundation
Honors & Awards
- SLU LAW Order of the Fleur de Lis Hall of Fame Honoree, 2016
- Member, Management Committee