As Chairman of Lewis Rice, Richard B. Walsh, Jr. drives the strategic vision of the Firm, maintaining its reputation of nationally recognized excellence in delivering client-driven, sophisticated legal services. Prior to becoming Firm Chairman, Rick served as Chair of the Litigation Department from 2012 to 2020.
Rick leads a dynamic and diverse workforce, and is committed to fostering a collaborative, inclusive, and equitable work environment. Rick works with Firm leadership to implement programs and initiatives to support the growth and mentorship of Lewis Rice’s associates, minority, and women lawyers.
As Chairman, Rick maintains an active and growing practice focusing primarily in the area of complex commercial litigation including intellectual property, antitrust, and securities litigation. He has litigated high stakes cases in many venues across the country. He counsels transactional clients concerning associated risks in commercial transactions. Rick’s background includes litigating antitrust claims in the health care, bicycle component, aluminum products, agricultural products, professional sports, and fitness equipment industries. He litigates intellectual property matters in many areas including computer systems, mechanical apparatuses and systems, and chemical, electrical, and medical products and processes.
Rick regularly appears in federal district and appellate courts throughout the country, and is a fellow in the Trial Lawyer Honorary Society of the Litigation Counsel of America.
Rick is AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell, was named "Lawyer of the Year" for Litigation - Antitrust for 2016, 2018, and 2020 by The Best Lawyers in America®; was selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2008-2022; and was selected for inclusion in Missouri & Kansas Super Lawyers® 2005 and 2008-2021. Rick has been named as one of the “Top 50” lawyers in the St. Louis area by Super Lawyers® every year since 2011.
- Alcohol Distribution
- Commercial Litigation
- Intellectual Property
- Environmental, Chemical & Toxic Tort
- Franchise & Other Distribution
- Washington University in St. Louis School of Law (J.D., 1983)
- Samuel Breckenridge Award
- University of Missouri (B.A., cum laude, 1980)
- Economics and Philosophy
- Mortar Board
- University Scholar
- American Bar Association
- Intellectual Property
- Antitrust Law Committee, Missouri Bar
- Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis
- American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA)
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Special counsel to Internal Affairs Division of the St. Louis Metropolitan Police Department
- Senior Fellow, Trial Lawyer Honorary Society, Litigation Counsel of America
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal, Fifth, Seventh, Eighth and Ninth Circuits
- U.S. Tax Court
- U.S. District Court, Eastern and Western Districts of Missouri, Southern and Northern Districts of Illinois
- Missouri Bar
- Illinois Bar
Charitable & Civic Activities
- Member, Children’s Health Development Board, St. Louis Children’s Hospital; Member, Finance Committee, St. Louis Children’s Hospital (1998-2010)
- Member, Board of Directors, St. Louis Zoo Association (2004-2010)
- Member, Audit Committee, St. Louis Zoo (2010-present)
- Member, Board of Directors, United Way of Greater St. Louis (2019-present)
- Chairman, Management Committee