John J. Hall’s practice focuses primarily on corporate reorganizations, bankruptcy, loan restructuring, commercial finance transactions, municipal collections, creditors’ rights litigation, and distressed transactions. His practice includes representation of national, regional, and state banks and credit unions, secured and unsecured creditors, debtors, trustees, and creditors’ committees in chapter 11 reorganization, chapter 9 municipal debt adjustments, chapter 7 liquidations and other actions in state and federal courts. John counsels receivers and assignees for benefit of creditors including representations in commercial litigation in federal and state courts, and represents purchasers in section 363 sales and various parties in problem loan workouts, forbearance agreements, and other distressed transactions.
In addition, John represents various commercial banks, leasing companies, and other financial institutions in various aspects of secured lending, asset-based lending, and leasing transactions including the documentation of transaction documents and the preparation of closing opinions. John also assists various municipalities and government entities in connection with financial restructuring, insolvency, liens and bankruptcy-related matters.
He also pursues creditors’ rights in state and federal court litigation. He has been recognized as having obtained two of the 25 largest judgments in the St. Louis metropolitan area in 2018. St. Louis Business Journal, April 12-18, 2019, “Largest Legal Judgments of 2018.”
John’s practice over the last 25 years has resulted in many notable successes for his clients that have resulted in published decisions and reported in legal journals. Click on the Case Studies tab above to read about a few such cases.
- Saint Louis University School of Law (J.D., cum laude, 1993)
- Faculty Fellow - Professor Roger Goldman
- American Jurisprudence Award
- University of Notre Dame (B.A., cum laude, 1990)
- Associate, Summers, Compton, Wells & Hamburg, P.C. (1995-1998)
- Law clerk, Hon. James J. Barta, U.S. Bankruptcy Judge, Eastern District of Missouri (1993-1995)
- American Bar Association
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis, Bankruptcy Section (Co-Chair, 2000-2001)
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- Turnaround Management Association
- Board member, St. Louis LaSalle Leadership, Inc.
- U.S. District Courts, Eastern and Western Districts of Missouri, Southern and Central Districts of Illinois
- Missouri Bar
- Illinois Bar