Alfred J. Ludwig is a trusted problem solver with more than 15 years of experience helping businesses pursue growth, manage relationships, deliver results, and position for change.
Al Ludwig serves a Practice Group Leader for the Mergers & Acquisitions practice group. He is an experienced and comprehensive business advisor, with a special focus on mergers and acquisitions and entity formation and structuring. He advises a diverse group of businesses, ranging from large, publicly traded companies to startups, individuals, and sole proprietorships in all aspects of organizational structuring, acquisitions and divestitures, commercial contracts, and operational diligence, compliance, and development.
Al has also developed a significant commercial real estate practice, including experience with purchases and sales, development, construction, leasing transactions, and the structuring of investment and ownership arrangements. He represents lenders and borrowers in a range of financing transactions, with a special emphasis on marine and real estate financing. Additionally, Al has substantial experience in structuring and negotiating information technology and related software licensing arrangements, as well as compliance and best practices in the fast-moving and ever-changing realm of data privacy regulation.
Al was selected for inclusion in Missouri & Kansas Rising Stars® in 2015 and 2017-2018. In 2019 and 2022, Al was named a Top M&A Provider by St. Louis Small Business Monthly. He was also listed as a Notable Practitioner in the ILFR1000 list for 2020, which ranks lawyers and law firms on the basis of financial and corporate transactional work.
Outside of work, Al is active in St. Louis's music scene as a jazz, bluegrass, and rock bassist, and he devotes much of his free time to volunteering with the Episcopal Church.
- Coronavirus (COVID-19)
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Business & Corporate Finance
- Real Estate
- Information Technology
- Technology Licensing
- Cybersecurity & Data Privacy
- Entrepreneurship & Startup Law
- U.S. State Privacy Laws
- University of Missouri at Columbia School of Law (J.D., cum laude, 2007)
- Order of the Coif
- Missouri Law Review, senior lead articles editor
- Guy A. Thompson Prize for Best Case Note
- Truman State University (M.A., 2002)
- Truman State University (B.A., 2000)
- Adjunct professor, mergers and acquisitions, Washington University School of Law (2018-present)
- Summer associate, Lewis Rice LLC (2006)
- Law clerk, Reinert & Rourke, P.C. (2005)
- American Bar Association
- Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis
- Missouri Bar
- Illinois Bar
Charitable & Civic Activities
- Treasurer, Episcopal Diocese of Missouri (2021-present)
- Vice Chancellor, Episcopal Diocese of Missouri (2018-present)
- Diocesan Council, Episcopal Diocese of Missouri (2015-2018)
- Diocesan Convention of the Episcopal Diocese of Missouri (Alternate Delegate, 2014; Delegate, 2015-present)
- Diocesan Investment Committee, Episcopal Diocese of Missouri (Member, 2016-present)
- Emmanuel Center for the Young Years (Director, 2011-2014; President, 2013-2014)
- Young Friends of St. Patrick's Center (Charter Member, 2012-2015)
- Volunteer Lawyers Program, Legal Services of Eastern Missouri (Attorney Volunteer, 2007-2013)