Alfred J. Ludwig has a diverse transactional practice. Al represents a wide array of clients ranging from large, publicly traded companies to individuals and sole proprietorships in all aspects of business operations. His experience includes transaction structuring, operational diligence, development and compliance, mergers and acquisitions, commercial contracts, the processes that accompany startup business planning, and the dissolution of ongoing businesses at the end of their life cycle.
Al has a significant commercial real estate practice, including purchases and sales, development, construction, and the structuring of investment and ownership arrangements. He also represents owners and tenants in leasing transactions of all varieties.
Furthermore, Al represents lenders and borrowers in a range of financing transactions, with a special emphasis on marine and real estate financing. In addition to structuring and documenting loan transactions, he has experience in a variety of modification and workout arrangements, collections, and real and personal property foreclosure actions.
Al also has substantial experience in negotiating and accounting for information technology and related software licensing arrangements. This work includes the negotiation and drafting of cloud services agreements, hardware and software transfers on a stand-alone basis and in context of larger acquisitions, as well as highly complex technology licensing and development arrangements.
Al was selected for inclusion in Missouri & Kansas Rising Stars® in 2015 and 2017-2018. In 2019 Al was named a Top M&A Provider by St. Louis Small Business Monthly. He was also listed as a Notable Practitioner in the ILFR1000 list for 2020, which ranks lawyers and law firms on the basis of financial and corporate transactional work.
Outside of work, Al is active in St. Louis's music scene as a jazz, bluegrass and rock bassist, and he devotes much of his free time to volunteering with the Episcopal Church.
- Coronavirus (COVID-19)
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Business & Corporate Finance
- Real Estate
- Information Technology
- Technology Licensing
- Cybersecurity & Data Privacy
- Entrepreneurship & Startup Law
- University of Missouri at Columbia School of Law (J.D., cum laude, 2007)
- Order of the Coif
- Missouri Law Review, senior lead articles editor
- Guy A. Thompson Prize for Best Case Note
- Truman State University (M.A., 2002)
- Truman State University (B.A., 2000)
- Adjunct professor, mergers and acquisitions, Washington University School of Law (2018-present)
- Summer associate, Lewis Rice LLC (2006)
- Law clerk, Reinert & Rourke, P.C. (2005)
- American Bar Association
- Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis
- Missouri Bar
- Illinois Bar
Charitable & Civic Activities
- Vice Chancellor, Episcopal Diocese of Missouri (2018-present)
- Diocesan Council, Episcopal Diocese of Missouri (2015-2018)
- Diocesan Convention of the Episcopal Diocese of Missouri (Alternate Delegate, 2014; Delegate, 2015-present)
- Diocesan Investment Committee, Episcopal Diocese of Missouri (Member, 2016-present)
- Emmanuel Center for the Young Years (Director, 2011-2014; President, 2013-2014)
- Young Friends of St. Patrick's Center (Charter Member, 2012-2015)
- Volunteer Lawyers Program, Legal Services of Eastern Missouri (Attorney Volunteer, 2007-2013)