R. Scott Moore has practiced law for nearly 30 years representing banks, hospitals, physician groups, manufacturers and other firms of varied sizes and industries. Scott has guided many clients through the formation of new businesses. He has also helped clients build their businesses through acquisitions and at times sell all or part of such businesses when the time is right, including one of the earlier physician group practice sales to a private equity firm.
The health care field is broad. Scott has focused his practice on the representation of hospitals, physicians, physician groups and their ancillary ventures. His health care clients often present a special blend of contractual, compliance, and antitrust issues, with which he has extensive experience. Among others, Scott represents a large independent practice association on the cutting edge of risk-based Medicare Advantage contracting.
Scott’s transactional practice has been varied. In addition to health care clients, he has guided other businesses through the multi-faceted aspects of buying and selling businesses and assets.
Scott began his career as a bankruptcy lawyer and still serves clients with bankruptcy issues. This experience has occasionally allowed him to draw on his transactional and health care experience when acquiring a business from a bankrupt entity. For years Scott has represented a self-insurers guaranty fund and occasionally traveled the country to protect the rights of this client and the ultimate beneficiaries, the bankrupt debtor’s employees.
Scott’s day-to-day practice is no less mundane. As a sort of outside general counsel to many clients, he is able to counsel them on a wide variety of operational and contract issues. He enjoys being able to use his understanding of business and legal issues to help his clients thrive.
Scott is AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell.
- Health Care
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Corporate Strategies
- Health Care (COVID-19)
- Bankruptcy, Restructuring & Workouts
- University of Michigan Law School (J.D., magna cum laude, 1991)
- University of Illinois (B.S., with highest honors, 1988)
- Beta Gamma Sigma Business Honorary
- American Bar Association, Health Law Section
- American Institute of CPAs
- Missouri Society of Hospital Attorneys
- St. Louis Area Health Lawyers Association
- Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis, Bankruptcy Section
- U.S. District Court
- Eastern District of Missouri
- Central District of Illinois
- Missouri Bar
- Illinois Bar
Charitable & Civic Activities
- Board member and past President, Fellowship of Christian Athletes (Metro East) (2008-present)
- Board member, Thrive St. Louis, Inc. (2018-present)
Honors & Awards
- Certified Public Accountant
- Elijah Watt Sells Award recipient for outstanding performance on May, 1988 CPA exam