Melissa G. Powers is an associate practicing general business and transactional law in the Corporate Department of Lewis Rice. In her cybersecurity & data privacy practice, Melissa has experience helping companies mitigate the risk involved with collecting and sharing personal data, which has become routine for many companies around the world. She advises on compliance and best practices for data management and incident preparedness and provides critical legal counsel in the immediate aftermath of cyber incidents. Melissa also designs and implements privacy and security programs including audit and risk assessments, global policies, national and international data transfer agreements, and innovative structures, processes, and arguments to enable organizations to comply with an increasingly complex global regulatory environment.
Melissa also works closely with clients on corporate mergers and acquisitions, where she negotiates and prepares drafts of deal documents, including purchase and sale agreements, disclosure schedules, and closing and ancillary documents. Additionally, she frequently conducts due diligence reviews and coordinates data room administration.
In her advertising, promotions, and social media practice, Melissa has substantial experience advising clients on legal issues related to advertising, including those pertaining to rights of publicity, privacy, and intellectual property. This work includes the conducting of trademark clearances and tracking trademark applications and actions.
Melissa also focuses her practice on information technology law, regularly negotiating and accounting for software licensing arrangements. She advises clients on SaaS-based and other service agreements, in respect to technology licensing and development arrangements, as well as hardware and software transfers and equipment purchases.
Melissa currently serves as the KnowledgeNet Chapter Chair for the St. Louis Chapter of the International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP).
Melissa served as executive editor for Saint Louis University Law Journal during her final year of law school. Prior to law school, she was a legal research and writing teaching assistant for the Pre-Law Department of Saint Louis University.
- Coronavirus (COVID-19)
- Advertising, Promotions & Social Media
- Cybersecurity & Data Privacy
- Information Technology
- Intellectual Property
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Saint Louis University School of Law (J.D., magna cum laude, 2018)
- Executive editor, Saint Louis University Law Journal
- Academic Excellence Awards: Alternative Dispute Resolution, Introduction to Business Entity Taxation
- Student Bar Association
- 1843 Scholar; ALI-CLE Scholarship and Leadership Award
- Saint Louis University (B.S., magna cum laude, 2015)
- Vice Presidential Scholarship; Dean's List; Pre-Law Scholar; Cook Business Scholar
- Beta Gamma Sigma Honor Society
- Phi Alpha Delta, Pre-Law Fraternity
- Amicus Curiae, Pre-Law Society
- Corporate counsel extern, Ameren, Corp. (Spring 2018)
- Summer associate, Lewis Rice LLC (2016, 2017)
- Student legal intern, Saint Louis University School of Law Entrepreneurship and Community Development Clinic (Fall 2016)
- KnowledgeNet Chapter Chair, St. Louis Chapter, International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP) (2020-2021)
- Young Privacy Professional Leader, St. Louis Chapter, International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP) (2019)
- Women Lawyers’ Association of Greater St. Louis
- Missouri Bar
Charitable & Civic Activities
- Member, Board of Directors, EAGLE College Preparatory Charter School
- CIPP/US (Certified Information Privacy Professional - United States)