Melissa G. Powers is an associate practicing general business and transactional law in the Corporate Department of Lewis Rice. Melissa served as executive editor for Saint Louis University Law Journal during her final year of law school. Prior to law school, she was a legal research and writing teaching assistant for the Pre-Law Department of Saint Louis University.
Melissa has experience helping companies mitigate the risk involved with collecting and sharing personal data, which has become routine for many companies around the world. She advises on compliance and best practices for data management and incident preparedness and provides critical legal counsel in the immediate aftermath of cyber incidents. Melissa also designs and implements privacy and security programs including audit and risk assessments, global policies, national and international data transfer agreements, and innovative structures, processes, and arguments to enable organizations to comply with an increasingly complex global regulatory environment.
Melissa spent two summers with Lewis Rice as a summer associate.
- Saint Louis University School of Law (J.D., magna cum laude, 2018)
- Executive editor, Saint Louis University Law Journal
- Academic Excellence Awards: Alternative Dispute Resolution, Introduction to Business Entity Taxation
- Student Bar Association
- 1843 Scholar; ALI-CLE Scholarship and Leadership Award
- Saint Louis University (B.S., magna cum laude, 2015)
- Vice Presidential Scholarship; Dean's List; Pre-Law Scholar; Cook Business Scholar
- Beta Gamma Sigma Honor Society
- Phi Alpha Delta, Pre-Law Fraternity
- Amicus Curiae, Pre-Law Society
- Corporate counsel extern, Ameren, Corp. (Spring 2018)
- Summer associate, Lewis Rice LLC (2016, 2017)
- Student legal intern, Saint Louis University School of Law Entrepreneurship and Community Development Clinic (Fall 2016)
- Young Privacy Professional Leader, International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP)
- Missouri Bar
Charitable & Civic Activities
- St. Agnes Home Assisted Living Facility (2010-present)
- St. Peter and Paul Soup Kitchen (2008-present)
- CIPP/US (Certified Information Privacy Professional - United States)