Matthew Mentzer is an associate who practices tax law and estate planning in the Kansas City office. He has represented clients before the U.S. Tax Court, IRS Office of Appeals, and state taxing authorities on a variety of tax issues and controversies including audits, examinations, TFRP assessment, wrongful liens, and collections. As a certified public accountant, Matt is particularly knowledgeable in federal and state tax return preparation, tax basis calculations and related studies, and federal and state implications for client transactions and projects. He is also able to advise corporate clients on tax implications for proposed transactions such as mergers and acquisitions, like-kind exchanges, and corporate restructuring.
In his estate planning practice, Matt routinely drafts relevant documents for high-net-worth individuals and succession planning for closely held businesses. He also handles the drafting of complex wills, revocable trusts, life insurance trusts, and estate instruments for estates valued in excess of $10 million.
Matt was selected for inclusion in Missouri & Kansas Rising Stars® in 2017-2018.
Prior to joining Lewis Rice, Matt was an associate at the Chapin Law Firm, LLC.
- University of Kansas School of Law (J.D., 2008)
- Kansas Tax Society, President
- Jessup International Law Moot Court Competition, Captain
- ELSA WTO Moot Court Competition
- VITA program, coordinator
- University of Kansas (B.S., 2004)
- Business Administration and Accounting (emphasis in information systems)
- Associate, Chapin Law Firm, LLC (2009-2013)
- Associate, Bever Dye, L.C. (2008-2009)
- U.S. Tax Court
- Missouri Bar
- Kansas Bar
- Certified public accountant