Elizabeth A. O’Brien is a corporate attorney with a practice focused on employee benefits and health care. Liz’s practice also includes assisting clients with legal issues in the areas of banking and consumer promotions, as well as advising on general corporate and transactional matters.
In her employee benefits practice, Liz assists a wide variety of employers and other businesses with employee pension and welfare benefit plans, in areas ranging from design and qualification to funding, administration, and termination. In addition to advising clients on the ERISA and tax compliance of their qualified employee benefit programs, she is also knowledgeable in nonqualified benefit matters, including executive compensation and other employment-related agreements, incentive and severance plans, and other deferred compensation arrangements.
In her health care practice, Liz works with a variety of health insurers, managed care organizations, health care providers, and third party administrators. She has experience assisting clients with federal and state regulatory matters in the areas of health insurance and managed care contracting, as well as in licensing, credentialing, and certification of both providers and carriers. Liz regularly advises clients with respect to a broad range of HIPAA-related issues.
In the area of banking regulation, Liz works with banks, thrifts, their holding companies, and other financial institutions on regulatory interpretation and compliance, agency examinations, corporate governance, data privacy matters, and reporting requirements. Additionally, Liz helps businesses navigate the legal issues of consumer promotions such as sweepstakes and contests, and she regularly assists with compliance of promotions conducted online or through social media platforms. In her corporate practice, Liz has experience in general business and transactional matters including mergers and acquisitions, corporate formation, and public and private securities dispositions. Liz is conversationally fluent and professionally competent in Spanish.
- Pension & Employee Benefits
- Health Care
- Banking & Financial
- Advertising, Promotions & Social Media
- Saint Louis University School of Law (J.D., magna cum laude, 2013)
- Dean's Scholar
- Saint Louis University Law Journal, Childress Lecture Managing Editor
- Excellence in Journals Award & Academic Excellence Award for Leadership
- Santa Clara University (B.A., magna cum laude, 2010)
- Communication (emphasis in print journalism) and Spanish Studies (emphasis in Latin American studies)
- University Honors Program
- The Santa Clara, staff news reporter
- Summer associate, Lewis Rice LLC
- Judicial extern, Hon. Robert Dowd, Jr., Missouri Court of Appeals, Eastern District
- American Bar Association
- Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis
- Missouri Society of Hospital Attorneys
- Women Lawyers' Association of Greater St. Louis
- Missouri Bar
Charitable & Civic Activities
- Board of Directors, Friends of Carondelet Park
- Young Professionals Advisory Board, St. Luke’s Hospital
- Event Chair, Nerinx Hall Alumnae Association