Larry L. Deskins Scholarships
In honor of Larry Deskins’ contributions to the legal profession and to Lewis Rice, our firm awards annually $7,500 scholarships to two first-year law students. The scholarships are credited toward tuition and expenses in the Fall academic term of each awardee’s second year of law school, and the awardees are featured on Lewis Rice’s website and in other publications, as determined by Lewis Rice.
Student submissions will be accepted between November 1, 2022 and January 20, 2023. Award decisions will be communicated to the awardees by March 31, 2023. Scholarship funds will be disbursed in the Fall 2023 academic term.
To be eligible to receive the Larry L. Deskins Scholarship, an applicant must meet each of the following requirements:
- Must be enrolled as a first-year law school student in good standing at one of the following institutions:
- Washington University School of Law
- Saint Louis University School of Law
- University of Missouri School of Law
- Must be from an economically disadvantaged and/or underrepresented group in the legal profession.
- Must be a U.S. citizen or legal permanent resident, or otherwise be able to work in the U.S. without limit as to duration or the need for immigration sponsorship.
Student applications will be accepted between November 1, 2022 and January 20, 2023. Applications to the Larry L. Deskins Scholarship must include the following materials and should be submitted through our online portal.
- Essay: No more than 750 words regarding personal challenges confronting the student on his/her/their path to law school and describing how being a student from an economically disadvantaged and/or underrepresented group contributed to those challenges.
- Undergraduate and Law School Transcripts: Copy of applicant’s undergraduate and law school transcripts. (This can be supplemented to the extent the applicant’s law school transcripts are unavailable at the time of submission.)
- Letters of Recommendation: Two (2) letters of recommendation from a professor, employer or other appropriate person, which can be included with the application submission or e-mailed separately to [email protected].
- Resume: Please limit to one page.
The Diversity & Inclusion Scholarship Subcommittee will review all submissions and make award decisions. Decisions about this year's awards will be communicated by March 31, 2023. The scholarships will be awarded and credited toward tuition and expenses in the Fall semester of the recipient’s second year of law school.
Questions? Contact Gina Parisi at [email protected].