Thomas P. Berra, Jr. is an experienced litigator who regularly handles complex commercial and employment litigation, class actions, non-compete and trade secret cases, products/toxic tort cases, and general business disputes. Tom appears before state and federal courts and administrative agencies in Missouri, Illinois, and throughout the United States. He has extensive alternative dispute resolution experience, having successfully mediated dozens of claims in the federal and state court systems. In addition to dispute resolution, Tom regularly counsels clients concerning day-to-day employment and business issues.
As a well-respected attorney at Lewis Rice, Tom is a member of the Firm's Management Committee and serves as the Firm's Ethics, Professional Responsibility and Claims Counsel. He was selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2013-2018 and was included in Missouri and Kansas Super Lawyers® for 2013-2016.
As a young attorney, Tom served as the prosecuting attorney for the cities of Town & Country and Kirkwood in St. Louis County, where he prosecuted hundreds of criminal and housing cases and tried dozens of cases in the municipal and county courts. Since that time, he has handled numerous state and municipal criminal matters to successful conclusion.
Tom is actively involved in his community and holds various positions with several St. Louis community and nonprofit organizations. He was a member of the Class of 2003-2004 FOCUS St. Louis Leadership Program, which recognizes individuals who attain high levels of leadership in their respective fields and who demonstrate deep commitment to the community. Tom currently serves as a member of the Board of Trustees of St. Louis University High School, where he also has long served on the Alumni Board. He is a past President of the Board of Governors of Greenbriar Hills Country Club in Kirkwood, MO and currently serves as Club Counsel.
- University of Notre Dame School of Law (J.D., 1992)
- Shaheen Fellow
- Dean’s List
- Tufts University (B.A., magna cum laude, 1989)
- Political Science and History
- Houston Political Science Award
- Dean’s List, all semesters
- NCAA Soccer
- Prosecuting attorney, City of Kirkwood (1994 - 1996)
- Prosecuting attorney, City of Town & Country (1993 - 1994)
- American Bar Association, Litigation Section
- Committee on Employment and Labor Relations Litigation, American Bar Association
- Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis
- Lawyers Association of St. Louis
- Defense Research Institute
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eighth Circuit
- U.S. District Courts, Eastern and Western Districts of Missouri; Southern, Northern, and Central Districts of Illinois; Southern and Northern Districts of Indiana; Northern District of Oklahoma; Northern District of Florida; Eastern District of Wisconsin
- Missouri Bar
- Illinois Bar
Charitable & Civic Activities
- St. Louis University High School, Board of Trustees (2015-present)
- St. Louis University High School, Alumni Board of Directors (1992-present)
- Ringer Woods Estates Addition HOA, Trustee and President
- Old Warson Country Club, Member
- Racquet Club of St. Louis, Board of Governors (Secretary, 2017-present)
- Greenbriar Hills Country Club, Board of Governors (member, 2003-2007, 2009; President, 2007; Club Counsel, 2012-present)
- Member, Management Committee
- Firm Ethics, Professional Responsibility and Claims Counsel
- FOCUS St. Louis Leadership Program, Class of 2003-2004