Sonette Magnus is an associate practicing in the Litigation Department for Lewis Rice. She focuses her practice on trademark, false advertising, deceptive trade practices, and corporate disputes.
Sonette’s extensive trademark experience includes obtaining and maintaining the registration of trademarks on the U.S. Principal Register, responding to office actions, initiating and responding to cancellation proceedings, and other litigation before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) and federal courts. Additionally, she counsels and represents clients in litigation involving right of publicity and right of privacy matters in both state and federal court, compliance with state and federal labeling laws, and all aspects of trademark litigation. Sonette also advises clients concerning their rights under the Copyright Act and the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA).
Sonette's experience also includes counseling clients on food labeling and packaging laws, particularly federally-mandated ingredient and allergen disclosures. She advises clients on compliance with packaging requirements, FDA compliance, as well as other federal and state regulatory agency requirements.
Prior to joining Lewis Rice, Sonette practiced at a mid-size local law firm, and she was a law clerk to Chief Judge Kathy A. Surratt-States of the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Missouri.
- Advertising, Promotions & Social Media
- Business Finance, Restructuring & Workouts
- Commercial Litigation
- Intellectual Property
- Media & Communications
- Information Technology
- Emory University School of Law (J.D., 2009)
- Certificate in Intellectual Property and Technology Commercialization
- Order of Barristers National Honor Society
- 2009 Student Legal Services Outstanding Caseworker Award
- 2009 State Bar of Georgia Labor Law Section Award
- University of Toronto, St. George Campus (B.A., with distinction, 2006)
- Criminology and Political Science
- Commercial Litigation Associate, Lashly & Baer, P.C. (2015-2016)
- Law Clerk, Kathy A. Surratt-States, Chief Judge, U.S. Bankruptcy Court, EDMO (2009-2015)
- Interim Director, Legal Studies Study-Abroad Program, Webster University, Legal Studies Department (2015-2016)
- Adjunct Associate Professor of Bankruptcy, Introduction to Law and International Law Courses, Webster University, Legal Studies Department (2011-present)
- Advisory Board Member, Emory Bankruptcy Developments Journal
- 2014 Leadership Summit Delegate, Networking Planning Committee, Midwest Chapter, International Women's Insolvency & Restructuring Confederation
- Former Director of Fox2 News Call a Lawyer Program, Former YLD Treasurer, Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis
- Trustee, Federal Practice Memorial Trust
- Missouri Bar
- Illinois Bar
- Georgia Bar
- U.S. District Court, Eastern and Western Districts of Missouri