Larry E. Parres practices in the Corporate Department and represents national, regional, and local financial institutions. He has extensive knowledge regarding Chapter 11 bankruptcy and business restructuring. Larry represents some of the largest banking associations in the United States in bankruptcy cases filed in Missouri, Illinois, Delaware, and New York, and he also represents financial institutions.
Larry spends significant time advising the Firm's corporate clients in purchasing assets and businesses from Chapter 11 bankruptcy estates throughout the country, including the purchase of several heavy industrial operations, various real estate transactions, and intellectual property sales. Representing the Firm's business clients in Chapter 11 as debtors-in-possession is an area in which he has extensive knowledge. His experience allows him to provide the highest-quality client service while focusing on the client's specific goals and needs during turbulent economic times. He strives to meet these goals in a timely and cost-effective manner.
Larry's practice also includes banking litigation, where he effectively enforces his clients' rights under various loan and other legal documents and contracts. Both lenders and borrowers rely on him to help capably draft and review their loan documentation to protect their interests and to assure that their special needs are adequately addressed.
Former President, Director, and Co-founder of the St. Louis Tri-State Chapter of the Turnaround Management Association, Larry served on their national Board of Directors. He is also a member of the American Bankruptcy Institute and the American Bar Association. Frequently lecturing at continuing legal education seminars regarding bankruptcy and creditors' rights, he also speaks on attorney fee issues for organizations including the Missouri Bar, the Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis, and the Turnaround Management Association.
Larry is actively involved in his community and shows his commitment by playing many civic and charitable roles. He has held various positions with several St. Louis nonprofit corporations including St. Patrick Center, Boys & Girls Clubs of Greater St. Louis, The Boy Scouts of America, and St. Simon the Apostle Church. Larry received the the 2014 Richard H. Amberg Award from Boys and Girls Club of Greater St. Louis, for outstanding contributions to the organization's mission.
St. Louis Business Journal selected Larry to be part of the "40 Under 40" Class of 2003 for bringing creativity to bankruptcy law. Also, Larry is AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell, and he was selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2010-2017.
- University of Missouri at Kansas City School of Law (J.D., 1988)
- UMKC Law Review
- Urban Lawyer
- Saint Louis University (B.S., cum laude, 1985)
- Political Science, Business certificate
- Law clerk, Van Osdol, Magruder, Erickson & Redmond, Kansas City, MO (1986-1988)
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- Illinois State Bar Association, Commercial Banking and Bankruptcy Section
- Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis, Bankruptcy Section
- St. Louis Tri-State Chapter of the Turnaround Management Association (President and Director, 1999-2002; Board of Directors, 1999-2000)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eighth Circuit
- U.S. District Courts, Eastern and Western Districts of Missouri, Southern District of Illinois
- Missouri Bar
- Illinois Bar
Charitable & Civic Activities
- Board member, Turnaround Management Association
- St. Patrick Center
- Board of Directors, Boys & Girls Clubs of Greater St. Louis
- The Boy Scouts of America
- St. Simon the Apostle Church
Honors & Awards
- Richard H. Amberg Award, Boys and Girls Clubs of Greater St. Louis (2014)
- Requested by the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Missouri to assist in the writing and implementation of local bankruptcy rules for the bankruptcy court