As the former chief legal counsel for the St. Louis Board of Aldermen, David W. Sweeney has extensive experience handling government-related legal matters. While at the Board of Aldermen, David provided a broad range of legal services, including drafting ordinances, counseling government employees on budgetary issues, and advising employees on legal issues, among other responsibilities.
In his private practice, David focuses on lobbying, governmental and finance matters; municipal and public law; government affairs; zoning, land use, tax increment financing, community improvement districts, and other development incentives. His experience ranges from drafting and overseeing implementation of legislation regarding tax increment financing, community improvement districts, special business districts, transportation development districts, and property tax abatements to representation of governmental entities in a variety of real estate development and finance matters.
Additionally, David has helped clients in a variety of sectors—including professional sports teams, high profile individuals, and manufacturers—develop and implement winning lobbying strategies using innovative, pragmatic approaches to affect the formation of public policy in the St. Louis region.
Prior to joining Lewis Rice and in addition to his role for the St. Louis Board of Aldermen, David worked for Lathrop & Gage.
- Saint Louis University School of Law (J.D., 2004)
- Notes and Comments Editor, Saint Louis University Public Law Review
- Legal Research & Writing Assistant
- Truman State University (Master of Arts in Education, 1996)
- Special Education
- Truman State University (B.S., 1996)
- Legal Counsel, St. Louis Board of Aldermen (2008-2015)
- General Counsel to President, St. Louis Board of Aldermen (2007-2008)
- Associate, McGlynn & Luther (2005-2007)
- Law Clerk, Simon & Passanante, PC (2003-2004)
- Learning Disabled Teacher, Clayton High School/Special School District (2001-2004)
- Work Experience Coordinator/Learning Disabled Teacher, Francis Howell Central High School (1997-2001)
- Learning Disabled/Behavior Disordered Teacher, Francis Howell High School (1996-1997)
- Missouri Growth Association (MGA)
- Missouri Municipal Attorneys Association
- Missouri Municipal League
- Municipal Attorneys Association of Metropolitan St. Louis
- Registered Lobbyist
- Missouri Bar
- Illinois Bar
Charitable & Civic Activities
- Board of Directors, St. Louis Public Library
- Board Member, Central Reform Congregation
- St. Louis Sports Commission